Neck stretching exercises. Anyone who works a lot on the computer is often only too familiar with neck pain. The cause is mostly muscle tension in the shoulder and neck area, which is caused by the monotonous sitting posture for hours. Tension headaches can also be the result. Small exercises for neck stretching in between can help to loosen up the muscles and prevent neck tension.
For a person weighing 80 kilograms, the head weighs about 5 kilograms. In relation to this, the cervical vertebrae are comparatively filigree. The neck muscles keep the head upright and allow movement to all sides. However, most people exercise far too little in everyday life. Many jobs are associated with constrained postures that place one-sided strain on the body and thus also the neck.
For example, after hours of work on the screen, many of the muscles in the neck and shoulder area are painfully hardened. In some, a dull, pressing to pulling tension headache becomes noticeable, which initially begins in the forehead and neck area and then spreads over the entire head on both sides.
See also, 5 easy exercises for magical body
However, this type of tension headache does not have to be: Interrupt rigid sitting postures, which can lead to incorrect strain, and take regular small breaks to move! It is best to try to incorporate short but targeted neck stretching into your daily routine several times a day. You don’t need more than five minutes for this.
Neck tension sometimes also conceals internal causes such as stress or conflict situations. After a soothing neck stretch, the world often looks different again. Stretching the muscles around the shoulder girdle and neck area not only relaxes the body, but also the soul.
See also, Simple and quick chest exercises
All neck stretching exercises are performed while sitting or standing . For the training to have the desired positive effect, you should pay attention to the following things:
- An upright position is important for exercises while standing: the feet are comfortably hip-width apart. Avoid a hollow back by tensing your buttocks and pushing your pelvis slightly forward. The shoulders must not hang forward, straighten your chest!
- When doing exercises while sitting, the upright starting position of the upper body is also a basic requirement.
- It is advisable to perform the sequence of movements slowly but correctly.
- Cheating does not apply Anyone who dodges their body in order to facilitate the sequence of movements risks health-damaging incorrect stresses.
- The flow of movement in the exercises is gentle and supple, not jerky and lively.
- Do stretching exercises slowly up to the maximum possible extension, until a pull is clearly noticeable but not painful.
- Keep breathing evenly during the exercises.
- If you are in pain, stop the exercise immediately and have your doctor clarify the symptoms in order to rule out possible damage to health.
- If you have any existing illnesses, your doctor can best assess your physical capacity. Ask him before you do any sport.
In the neck exercises, the neck is stretched all around. Anyone who does activities in which neck tension is inevitable should do this all-around program, which lasts about five minutes, several times a day. The exercises help “clear your head” even in times of stress. Whenever you can, take a little break to relax and your neck.
Since good blood circulation in the neck muscles is a basic requirement for neck stretching, the exercise unit begins with mobilization. This is followed by the actual exercise part (Exercise 1 to 3). Here you stretch your neck muscles in all directions. This will loosen the muscles that have become hardened and shortened by tension and make you supple. Finally, a gentle end to the training brings body and soul into balance.
While sitting or standing, pull your shoulders up towards your ears ten times and let go again. This stimulates the muscles in the neck and improves blood circulation.
Lateral neck muscles and arm nerve stretching
While standing, extend one arm sideways downwards. Turn your thumb outwards and the back of your hand backward. Imagine someone pulling your fingertips as an extension of your arm.
Give in to this feeling and slide your arm out of your shoulder towards the floor. At the same time, tilt your head to the opposite side. Hold the stretch in the side neck area for 15 seconds.
In this way, alternately stretch the right and left side neck muscles three times each.
Stretching the posterior short neck muscle
Fold your hands behind your head while sitting or standing. The little fingers are on the back of the neck under the back of the head.
Now push your chin gently towards your neck while resisting with your hands. Repeat this exercise five times.
Stretching the anterior neck muscles
You can do this neck exercise while sitting or standing. Take a few deep breaths in and out. Place your left hand on your right pectoral muscle and gently press down with your hand as you exhale.
At the same time try to look over your shoulder to the top left. Do the exercise three times alternately on both sides.
To finish off the neck exercises, close your eyes a few times as you inhale and open them as you exhale. Now you can relax and look forward to the things that are to come.